Wednesday 11 February 2009

Road To Orkney - Amethyst, Prasiolite and Blue Sapphire Wire-Wrapped Bangle By Blue Almonds



Road To Orkney: Oxidised Sterling Silver Amethyst, Prasiolite and Blue Sapphire Wire-Wrapped Bangle Bracelet - by Blue Almonds

Measurements: the bangle is 14cm/5.6” in circumference and although it is slightly adjustable it would fit a petite wrist; the bangle is 2cm/0.8” wide are at the widest point

Materials: AA smooth round Amethyst, Blue Sapphire and Prasiolite micro-faceted rondelles, sterling silver

There is actually no road from the UK mainland to Orkney. One has to travel by boat or plain to get there. Most people would choose the boat and in late autumn time the sea gets very harsh which makes the journey quite uncomfortable. When I started weaving the bangle I was listening to the BBC Radio Scotland which would announce weather forecast every hour and I would hear all the news about ferries being cancelled or delayed. With this picture in my mind my hands produced this wild and wavy shape. The frame was hand formed into waves and the outer part was hammered. I then used over 5 meters of thin silver wire, clear Amethyst beads together with sparkling dark Blue Sapphires. I oxidized the bangle heavily to create this dramatic design. Three little Prasiolite beads were added to soften the shape like a touch of sea foam.

No comments: